2004 Flight from KKLS

2004 Flight from KKLS
This photo is from when I was flying the airplane out of Longview, WA. This was taken early in the morning..

RV-6 #25188 in flight

RV-6 #25188 in flight
Doug Eves sent this photo of the Ol' girl in flight. Taken from the ground, this is a great shot. You can see he is "relaxing" in his office in the sky...

Sunday, January 18, 2015

It's just one damn job after another.....part 2

Last couple days I have installed the fuel vents on the bottom of the fuselage. I bought ones from JD air parts and they are all CNC machined with a screen and a secondary vent hole. I put some pins in my to hold the tail end of them when you are torqueing down the vent with the AN fitting. I cut some drill bits off to be my pins and I drilled slightly undersized holes in the tail end of the vent. Then I pressed in the pins. I then drilled my vent hole and then aligned the vent body to be aligned with the centerline of the aircraft. Once I found my centers, I drilled the #40 hole in the spot for the pin. This will keep the body of the vent from turning and not being in trail with the air.

Today I worked on the top canopy deck for the right side. I had to cut the areas out to fit around the centersection and the rear area to fit around the seat bulkhead. Then you have to contour the edge of the deck to the side of fuselage skin so it does not overhang. This was a lot of filing.......to get it just right. I got that fitting real nicely so I fitted the front deck and I went back and counter sunk all of the holes in the top deck. It's ready to be etched and primed.

I also worked on the rear fuselage turtledeck stringers. Getting those lined up and drilled. I am using a piece of .063 angle on the top stringers instead of the J-strips. I don't like those things and I think they are cheesy. I will have to shim a lot more using the angle but I will get a nice smooth riveting job. I'll be glad when the top turtledeck is on and I can start mounting the tail.

No comments: