2004 Flight from KKLS

2004 Flight from KKLS
This photo is from when I was flying the airplane out of Longview, WA. This was taken early in the morning..

RV-6 #25188 in flight

RV-6 #25188 in flight
Doug Eves sent this photo of the Ol' girl in flight. Taken from the ground, this is a great shot. You can see he is "relaxing" in his office in the sky...

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Fabricating bulkheads and priming

I have been working the past several months on the fuselage bulkheads. I have started with the firewall and then worked my way back to the tail bulkheads. I have assembled each station and then moved on the to the next. This way, when it comes time to start putting them in the jig, I can just drop each one in and go. I will not be waiting to build one and then move on to the next one. I have also been priming all of the seat ribs and baggage ribs so that I can also just "drop" them in place and move on. I have completed most of the priming.

My centersection was put together a long time ago. I pulled it down out of the rafters in my shed and started to get it ready to install in the jig. I found several areas where the paint had flaked off. NOT GOOD! I removed some of the paint and found that I did not Alodine these parts!!!!! I ended up drilling out all of the rivets that assemble the bulkhead and I have since stripped all the paint off of them. I used SEM self etching primer and it will come right off with Acetone. I am going to clean and Alodine these parts, then prime with epoxy primer and reassemble. I cannot afford to have any corrosion in the centersection.

I would not recommend any SEM products. I have found them to be very inferior to other paints and primers. I have used some "filler" primer on some fiberglass parts and them top coat with U-POL primers and they have seemed to last. However, any self etching single stage primer has not worked for me on aluminium.

No comments: