2004 Flight from KKLS

2004 Flight from KKLS
This photo is from when I was flying the airplane out of Longview, WA. This was taken early in the morning..

RV-6 #25188 in flight

RV-6 #25188 in flight
Doug Eves sent this photo of the Ol' girl in flight. Taken from the ground, this is a great shot. You can see he is "relaxing" in his office in the sky...

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Summer is over and it's airplane building time

I have worked around the house most of the summer. Pouring concrete, working in the yard, painting, planting, cleaning and mowing grass. My house looks good, however, my airplane looks unfinished. I need to get moving on building a jig.
I have asked around I cannot find a jig in the area. So I am going to build another one. I have a neighbor who is a professional builder. He recommended a lumber stock over by Port Townsend that carries "select" grades of lumber. I will go over there to hand pick my wood for my jig. You want tight grained Douglas Fir with no knots or wanes. Select grade is more expensive of course, but you are building an airplane in this jig and you need to be picky. Home Depot lumber is not going to cut it. That is Hem Fir and it's mostly wide grain heart wood. It will warp and twist on you. You must also get kiln dried wood so it does not dry out after you get the jig together.
On my last airplane, we also lightly "planed" the lumber to make sure it was nice and straight with sharp corners. Having a small portable power planer works real nice in this case.
I have to go on a business trip to Japan next week, after that, however, will be jig building time.

No comments: