2004 Flight from KKLS

2004 Flight from KKLS
This photo is from when I was flying the airplane out of Longview, WA. This was taken early in the morning..

RV-6 #25188 in flight

RV-6 #25188 in flight
Doug Eves sent this photo of the Ol' girl in flight. Taken from the ground, this is a great shot. You can see he is "relaxing" in his office in the sky...

Sunday, September 30, 2012

Priming the centersection

I was a bad boy about 4 years ago when I put together the centersection in haste. I did not use very good primer and it was already flaking off after 2 years in storage in my shed!!!!
I have drilled it all apart and have stripped the paint, re-etched  and Alodined the pieces. Today, I am epoxy priming the centersection and I will reassemble it in a couple of days.
I am using the good DTM (Direct To Metal) Dupont Primer in VS4. I still have about a gallon left over from painting the 1st RV-6. I have replaced the activator a new batch and I have had very good luck with this paint. The only thing that drives me crazy about it is that it is very graining and it's hard to get a good coat and have it turn out smooth. Some of it has to do with the gun I am using and the 1.4mm tip. I should go to a 1.6mm and see how that paint lays out. I prime with a small gun and also have a Husky (Home Depot) bigger gun for larger panels. It's a decent gun for priming parts. And since this will either be covered in a top coat on the interior, or inside the airplane, it does not matter that much how it turns out as long as it is sealed up.

No comments: