2004 Flight from KKLS

2004 Flight from KKLS
This photo is from when I was flying the airplane out of Longview, WA. This was taken early in the morning..

RV-6 #25188 in flight

RV-6 #25188 in flight
Doug Eves sent this photo of the Ol' girl in flight. Taken from the ground, this is a great shot. You can see he is "relaxing" in his office in the sky...

Sunday, October 10, 2010

Working on the left wing

I have started work on the left wing. Yeah! I forgot how much work it is to get all of the ribs deburred, fluted and straight. I have gotten all of the deburring done and now I have to get the marking pen out and start marking the flutes on the ribs to get them straight. I will have two whole days just in that. I have taken the left spar down out of the garage rafters and I will start attaching ribs shortly. Then it will be time to get the right wing out of the jig and set up for the left wing. I will be glad when the wing is done and I can start on the fuselage. I have put my beloved engine up for sale. It's just sitting there collecting dust. I rotate it every so often to make sure the oil gets sloshed around. I won't be able to use it for at least two more years. So why not sell it and put the money in the bank to make some interest on it? I can alway buy another one and put it together. I like doing that anyways. Building engines is fun and there are so many ways trick them out nowdays. People always ask me if I am scared that I built my own engine. I always answer no. Not that the guys at Aerosport don't know what they are doing, but I know everything I did to that engine. It actually makes me feel safer knowing I put it together. My other two engines I have put together are running smoothly and don't burn any oil. My buddy called me up the other day to tell me he just annualed his RV-6 (the one you see in the pics) and told me I did a good job building his engine. Compression was 79/80 in all cylinders and it doesn't burn a drop of oil in between changes. It also runs like a turbine since I had all of the parts dynamically balanced by ECI. Feels good when you get calls like that!

No comments: