2004 Flight from KKLS

2004 Flight from KKLS
This photo is from when I was flying the airplane out of Longview, WA. This was taken early in the morning..

RV-6 #25188 in flight

RV-6 #25188 in flight
Doug Eves sent this photo of the Ol' girl in flight. Taken from the ground, this is a great shot. You can see he is "relaxing" in his office in the sky...

Friday, October 8, 2010

Working on the tip

I have been working on the wing tip for the past several days. The landing lights/nav/strobe lights are all in the tip. The landing light setup is pretty cool but has lot's of little pieces to make up. Trying to get all the springs, nuts, bolts....ect in place is a chore. I am using small LED nav lights. They are real cool to see at night and it also has a rear position light on the setup as well. The strobe light is integrated into the whole thing and it makes a small tight package. Beats the old style Whelen lights which get real hot and melt you lense cover. The landing lights are two small self contained lights with a adjustable mount. I will have 2 on each wingtip so landing at night will be a hoot. The lense cover is all fitted and I am filling in around the lense so it blends into the tip perfectly. I start out with a coat of JB weld and then I will sand that down a bit. Then I will use bondo to fill up the rest so the lense thickness is evenly matched all the way around the tip so there is no lip. It will look real smooth all painted up. Details, details.

No comments: